If your Van Buren rental property is slightly older, you may be worried about attracting quality tenants. This is especially true if you have newer rental homes in your local market. It can be quite difficult for an older home to compete against newer ones, more so if it lacks certain updates. The good news is that there are many things that you can do to help your older rental home look more modern and maintain that strong appeal. As a matter of fact, with a little time and not too much money, you can give your rental home a modern makeover that will not only help you attract tenants but may boost your property values, too. Here’s our list of wonderful ways to make your older rental home look modern.
- Go Bright. The modern look and feel are all about light and space. To make your rental’s interiors feel brighter, use light, neutral paint for walls and trim with pops of bright color as accents. Just don’t go for too many colors at once – a single accent door or wall is usually all you’ll need.
- Open It Up. If your older rental home has a lot of walls dividing the main living areas, think about taking one or more of them down. Modern home design is more open-concept, with large living areas that flow from space to space. Simply removing a wall between the kitchen and dining room, for example, can make your rental feel more open and modern inside.
- Upgrade Cabinet Hardware and Faucets. In the kitchen, a quick upgrade that can help modernize the room is to replace cabinet hardware and the faucet. Clean, bright lines in your cabinet handles and faucets can make a big difference in the look and feel of the kitchen.
- Remove Popcorn Ceilings. If your rental property still has a popcorn ceiling lurking inside, it’s time to get rid of it. Popcorn ceilings were popular at one time, but now they instantly date a rental home’s interior. Opt for a smooth neutral finish on your rental’s ceilings instead.
- Opt-Out of Carpet. Another great way to modernize an older rental is to replace carpeted floors with hard surface flooring, such as sturdy wood-look vinyl planks. Vinyl planks are not much more expensive than carpet and will probably last much longer than carpet, anyway. Plus, it will help your rental’s interior rooms feel more open and airy, which is the essence of modern design.
- Upgrade Outlets and Lights. Obnoxious or old-fashioned electrical outlets and light fixtures can make your rental look unappealing. By simply replacing both with new, modern styles, you can enhance the contemporary look of any room.
- New Doors. Your rental doors are also an excellent option for modernizing your property. Your rental’s front door, in particular, is a huge part of your property’s curb appeal. Think about replacing an old or outdated door with something new and fresh, preferably in a bright, complementary color. A gorgeous door can add the welcoming touch your rental needs to stay competitive in today’s rental market.
- Smart Locks, Thermostat, and More. Lastly, today’s modern rental homes include a range of smart upgrades, such as smart locks, smart thermostats, and more. These devices can be controlled from a smartphone and help enhance the security and efficiency of any property. Your tenants will love the convenience and savings, and you will love the boost in rental rates and property values you’ll probably get as a result.
Would you like to know more about quick and affordable ways to update your rental property? Give Real Property Management First Choice a call! Our Van Buren property management team helps rental property owners like you create and maintain profitable rental homes. Contact us online for more information.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.